Monday, September 24, 2007

Workout: Grappler Baki

Stop me if you've heard this one. Guy goes to gym, guy runs on treadmill until his heart rate reaches 173, guy keeps pushing til he reaches a "zone" wherein he's unstoppable. That, my friends, is the Grappler Baki zone. This happenned to me tonight at the gym and I liken it to Grappler Baki because that's the name of an anime series that I used to watch. Basically, the protagonist is this kid named Baki: his father is the strongest fighter in the world but kind of evil (in an Akuma kind of way where he thinks his path is the right path) and he, Baki, trains relentlessly as a fighter in order to one day beat his father. So one particular episode, when he was really pushing hard while working out, he reached a zone where he was able to awaken, or rather gain access to, his endorphins. For the purposes of the anime, they described endorphins as this feeling you have wherein you can't be stopped, i.e., you're tireless, and thus can keep on pushing your body to remarkable levels. It was kinda funny because the anime was in Japanese (with english subtitles) and since the word endorphins is not a Japanese word per se, the voice actor just pronounced it in his own native tongue; it came off sounding kinda like this -
en-dawphinz (I know, I know, I digress a bit; back to the point)

Now I'm no scientist but the anime was kind of on-target with the feeling you get when endorphins enter your bloodstream; as near as I can tell its a hormone released after sex...maybe, bout 90% sure. But the anime just used it as a zone where you can feel no pain and hence no limitation, which, I guess, is akin to the feeling of absolutely no-pain you get after sex because you "shot off" ;)

To wrap up (y'know, before this all becomes incoherent) I feel really good because once I reached that Grappler Baki/Endorphins zone tonight, I felt so incredibly powerful. I gotta say, it feels damn good. If this is what it means to be fit, healthy and strong, count me in for life.
I love the gym :)

No comments: