Thursday, February 25, 2010

When it snows...

Usually I don't like snow.  The after-effect, when it becomes hard and dirty ice that then begins to slowly melt as the days progress creating dirty puddles of cold water; yeah, I'm not into it.  But I have to say, taking the time to watch snow fall down fresh from the sky, if you focus on that for a few seconds, minutes even, you can lose yourself in it.  Its a beautiful thing. 
I grew up on an island where it was hot, or warm, year-round.  I love warm weather; walking around in shorts and slippers/sandals, having access to a beach, soaking in the sun - that's me.  But, I've lived in the North East U.S. now for almost a decade, give or take a year or two, and I've come to appreciate the different seasons.  Though I'm still no fan of the cold, I've grown somewhat accustomed, even doing things to make the most of the weather; eg. ice skating (haven't gone skiing yet, that's next, or maybe snowboarding).  But the point, not to digress, is that I took the time to watch the snow this morning.  I did this because I woke up with a lot of negative things on my mind, particularly work stress, and as I sipped my morning capucchino (I don't even really like coffee like that, I was out of tea) I decided to gaze outside and let my mind wander among the little snowflakes.  It was calming. 
Y'know, snow can be viewed as majestic too.  Imagine that they might be little soap suds drifting down from God's body as he takes his morning shower; I mean, its God right, so that would mean a LOT of soapsuds, i.e. snowflakes.  Yeah, I have a very active imagination, I guess its part of being a writer.  But seriously, what else can you compare snowfall to?  Apart from rain, and I guess hail (thankfully haven't experienced that), and random objects like meteorites or such that may or may not have fallen to earth a long, long time ago, what else falls naturally from the sky that looks so enchanting?  I can't think of anything, and I'm an Island boy, so I leave it to you.  As for me, I was inspired to send this blog up into the sky, off a few satellites, and onto your screen.  Hope you like snowflakes.....God's soapsuds, or many, many pieces of the Marshmallow man from the Ghostbusters movie....STILL!  Poor guy...he's in a permanent loop re-living or re-dying his demise.

No comments: