Monday, August 20, 2007

New Day, New Mission

So today marks the aftermath of Hurricane Dean, at least for my home, Jamaica. From what I've read, the storm battered the South East coast a bit, particularly Kingston, but seemingly skirted along the South and avoided a direct hit. I've yet to conirm any details about Montego Bay, but I doubt that anything too serious occurred. I'll be calling again shortly.

Today also marks the aftermath of the weekend; a period consisting of one friday night excursion, potential hook-ups with 2 new ladies, nursing myself to full health (don't drink when u "think" u've gotten over a cold, drink when u KNOW), monitoring Hurricane Dean, many attempts at calling Jamaica, a few successful phone calls here in the States and watching most of a Naruto marathon. Its Monday people, time to get back to work, or is it?

Thing is, I still don't feel 100% and I have Sick Leave available. Most importantly, I'm trying to hold myself accountable to completing a few tasks today - laundry; contacting family and friends in Jamaica; writing 5 Elven pages; utilizing my beautiful, brown-leather bound Franklin Covey Organizer that I bought a little less than 2 years ago but have yet to properly use (need to work on this week's schedule and some budgeting); reading a compensation plan and overall rest and recuperation. That's right good citizens, its a sick day. I need to call my boss, but why do I feel kinda guilty? Well, its an analysis of been working on: I think I have an over-developed sense of responsibility and also a fear that me missing a day is going to come back and bite me somehow.
Well, I've got to address that right now before I can go on and be comforatable with my day.

1. My stomach is feeling queasy.
2. Sick days are meant to be taken when u feel sick. If not now, then when? It makes little sense to hoard them. Besides, a good friend of mine, who I trust for sound counsel, has stated that he likes to keep his Sick Days to a minimum, largely to maximize his benefits from the Company. It makes sense. I can't predict when I would be seriously ill (that is part of the reason I hoard them - "just in case") and I can't afford to think that extreme. If I become seriously ill, I'll deal with it. I've gone through many challenges and I'm still here. Time to recognize my Strength and Resources.
3. Old Petey Parker says "With Great Power, comes Great Responsibility", a quote that I take pretty seriously despite the fact that it came from a comic book. However, today I have less-than-medium power and less-than-medium energy. I'm going to try to challenge that into medium responsibility - trying to contact Ja and keep some of my people here in the States posted on what I learn. That is enough for me today. No work, just personal work and information gathering.

So, that's it. I've got calls to make.

2 comments:

Marcus Bird, Designer said...

Two potential hookups eh? Sounds like a drunk girl punched the wrong number into your cell phone :p

ErskWords said...

nope, dem ting deh nuh happen to dads.